Cannot upgrade to Smart Keyboard Pro

You can post your bug reports here. Please include at least the app version and your phone, and any useful information.
technohead95

Cannot upgrade to Smart Keyboard Pro

Post by technohead95 »

I've been using Smart Keyboard Trial and really like how it works as I've been able to configure it to pretty much how I want it. I recently decided to pull the trigger and buy the Smart Keyboard Pro from the Android Market. I was really pleased to see an option to restore a backup of settings taken from the Trial version. However, every time I attempted to use this option the whole application hung. I thought 'no problem', I'll just manually record what settings I had and transfer them to the application via the interface but whenever I opened anything to do with the Smart keyboard Trial application e.g. settings or allowed the keyboard to come up then I received a force close. Realising I was nearing the end of my 15 minute refund window, I quickly had the application refunded.

I'm still keen to get the Smart Keyboard Pro application but wanted to get some assurance that this problem was fixed before I make a purchase again. I've not seen this issue with the Trial version so I'm really baffled why the Pro version would show such an unstable behaviour. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
cyril
Developer
Phone: Nexus One 2.3

Re: Cannot upgrade to Smart Keyboard Pro

Post by cyril »

Hello
I can usually fix such force close issues within one day, IF I get enough information to fix it! If you uninstalled the app there is no way I can fix it now...
So please install it again (you can download the beta if you don't want to buy now), install "Log Collector" app, and send me (smartkeyboardpro at gmail.com) your phone logs just after your had a force close. And I will fix it ;)
Cyril
technohead95

Post by technohead95 »

Awesome, thanks for the quick response. I will try it this evening and let you know how I get on.
technohead95

Post by technohead95 »

I have just installed the beta along with log collector and it is showing the same issues as I had with the Pro version I installed from the market.

Just to clarify, when I try to restore settings from the trial version I do not get a force close. The application just hangs when I click on the 'Ok' button for the warning about overwriting current settings. I left it for a minute and it didn't do anything. Pressing the back button didn't do anything but pressing the home key brought me back to the home screen.

I then selected the Smart keyboard Beta application as my active keyboard. Whenever I clicked anywhere where the keyboard would pop up, I get force closes. I've sent the log from the first force close I received. This happens every time and is very consistent. I have not had any of these issues with the trial version which has been working fine so it must be something to do with the difference between these applications versions.

Let me know if you need more help or info. Thanks.
cyril
Developer

Post by cyril »

Well, your logs don't show any information about the force close, unfortunately, but I think anyway that it's just a side effect of another problem. Can you get the logs *just* after you try to restore settings in pro version?
Also, I it seems you have a custom ROM, right? Do you use app2sd or something like this?
Cyril
cyril
Developer

Post by cyril »

Well, your logs don't show any information about the force close, unfortunately, but I think anyway that it's just a side effect of another problem. Can you get the logs *just* after you try to restore settings in pro version?
Also, I it seems you have a custom ROM, right? Do you use app2sd or something like this?
Cyril
technohead95

Post by technohead95 »

cyril wrote:Well, your logs don't show any information about the force close, unfortunately, but I think anyway that it's just a side effect of another problem. Can you get the logs *just* after you try to restore settings in pro version?
I'll send you two lots of logs, one for just after restoring (although this doesn't force close, I will grab the logs after I leave it going for about 30 seconds). I'll then send you another set of logs just after another force close. Hopefully between these two sets of logs you'll get enough info to find out what is going on.

Yes, I'm using a custom ROM for my Samsung Galaxy S phone. It's a very popular ROM (website for ROM: http://www.darkyrom.com). No I'm not using App2SD. The phone has 8GB of internal memory (of which 2GB is reserved for application installs and the remaining 6GB is reserved for as an internal SD card) so I've never really needed to install anything on the internal or external SD card. Hope this helps.
cyril
Developer

Post by cyril »

Seems 30s is too much, Log Collector kept only 10s of logs :(
If you installed the Android SDK (otherwise it's easy to do so), it would be better to do an "adb logcat" from your computer to get the logs, as I need the lines containing "SmartKeyboard" at the time your restore the settings (run "adb logcat", and afterwards restore the settings)
Cyril